I am a longstanding pattern masher- aka: taking pattern pieces from separate patterns to create my own unique project. So, the sewcial mash up challenge hosted by Lori of Girls in the Garden and Lindsey at Inside the Hem this month is right up my alley. I had Rebecca Taylor Vogue 1395 in my pattern queue for several years- and this challenge was the inspiration I needed to FINALLY make this dress. I have a few Rebecca Taylor patterns and I find her designs feminine and wearable. This pattern has a versatile and slightly casual shape that is super appealing. I love the pull on and go style- with waist definition from those ties! But, I read several reviews that recommended some significant modifications for the shoulders and armholes- including these reviews from the sensational sewists Katie and Lauren. I decided this pattern would be a good candidate for pattern mashing- specifically to change out the wide neckline and the back and shoulders. I also wanted to add longish sleeves.
I was determined to use patterns I had on hand for this mash up- so my mash-up includes the bodice front and back and sleeves from Simplicity 8737. I actually made the v-neckline a wee bit deeper and wider than the Simplicity pattern piece and omitted any fastening in the back. With a slightly deeper v-neck and the full bodice, I knew it would slip easily over my head without any fussy back closures. I omitted the neckband in the Simplicity view. I also skipped the big cuff and finished the bottom of the gathered sleeve with a narrow band. I used the front facings from the Simplicity pattern. The Vogue pattern uses bias binding for the v-neck, but I am partial to using facings. I had to draft a back neck facing from the altered back bodice.
There wasn’t a lot of expertise involved in combining bits and pieces of these patterns. One mash up task was to make certain the top fit the bottom- or skirt. I aligned both pattern bodice fronts and backs to make sure the fullness was similar and would match up with the Vogue skirt- and the patterns were remarkably similar. But because the back on the original dress wraps to the front- I had to ever so slightly gather the back skirt to fit the back bodice.
The other tricky mash-up aspect was to figure out how to add ties. I had to improvise on both the pattern and the construction/placement of the ties because they are attached to the bodice back in the Rebecca Taylor Vogue pattern. I drew a pattern slightly scaled from the Vogue pattern shape and attached the ties in the side seams.